Friday, August 17, 2012

The Top Three Things I'm Most Excited About For College

So to follow up my last post about the top three things I'm going to miss most when at college, I thought I'd highlight the three things I am most excited about (because obviously even though I'm going to miss things I'm super excited!). So here it is:

BU and SED

Hey there, Kenmore Square
Have I told you how excited I am about SED? If you answered no to that question then you obviously have not been paying attention.

The People

I've been around the same people my entire life. For the most part, all of the people that I've been around have been the same type of people. There's nothing wrong with this, it's just the way that it is. This is obviously due to the environment. We have all of have grown up in the same place with the same influences for the most part. This makes us all pretty similar, no matter how much we hate to admit that. 

I can't wait to get out and experience new types of people. People who came from different backgrounds and grew up in a different environment. People who see things differently than I do and come from a different place than me. City people and country people. People from around the nation and people from around the world. But mostly...just for some new people. And so many of them!

(Plus, all of the people I've already met are completely splendid and I'm excited to meet many more just as spectacular!)

The Classes

I love learning! I just really do! And college is so cool because there are so many cool classes to take! And I get to take classes that I'm passionate about and that I choose to take! Ones which will help me with my career! And how cool is it that I get to start going to schools for ED100 right away?! So cool, just like SED and BU!

The Activities

Hey SED TM program, I'm looking at you. Besides that, what about all the clubs and sports. And watching hockey games of course!

A New Beginning

As I mentioned, I've been in the same place with the same people for my entire life. My town is about the size of the Freshman class at BU, my county about the size of BU undergrad. There are about five towns that comprise Summit County, totaling a population of about 20,000. There are six elementary schools which feed into one middle school and one high school. This means that I've gone to school with all the same people since I was either five or eleven. This is definitely not something I love. You can never get rid of the person you were when you were five, or what kind of kid you were at eleven. Maybe you talked too much when you were five, or you had a lisp at eleven. So that's the reputation you're stuck with. That mistake you made when you were thirteen? It never goes away and you can never get rid of your baggage. This makes for a really hard and often painful adolescence. When all you want to do is be the person you know that you can be and spread your wings and fly it sucks to be chained to the ground and weighed down by judgmental and mean teenagers who never forgive or forget. 

So I reach my biggest point of excitement in going to BU: a brand new beginning. The closest person I will know once I move to Boston will be 217 miles away. I never have to tell anyone about those painful memories that I can't stand to have brought up and never again have to hear someone call me that awful nickname my Chemistry teacher called me. I finally have complete control of being exactly who I am and who I want to be without the weight of the past dragging me down. It's finally time to takeoff from the launchpad I've been waiting on for all of these years, so here's to "infinity and beyond!"

The City and Independence

Let's review. My county has 20,000 people in it. BU alone has 20,000 people in it. The most exciting thing there is to do at home is go to Target. At BU I'm going to have an entire city of entertainment at my doorstep. I could not be more excited.

I'm never going to be bored again. There is simply so much to do! And I can do it all! Because I'm going to be on my own and independent and able to do whatever I please! What a great feeling!



Now to finish out this poorly written and scatter brained article, a Dr. Suess quote: "You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go."

What are you most excited about for college? Let me know in the comments section! And as always, share this with your friends if you liked it and if you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment