Thursday, August 9, 2012

That Carl and Ellie From "UP" Knew What They Were Doing

I recently came across a quote on Tumblr (yes, my other blog). The script read "Oh darling, let's be adventurers." Other than Tumblr, I'm not sure where this quote originated from but something about it really struck me. The wonderful and beautiful simplicity of it was absolutely perfect. It left me smiling and speechless with a warm feeling in my mind. The tone is beautiful. The period at the end is flawless. It signifies that it's not a crazy or exotic idea--it's just a simple statement and it's one that everyone should pursue.

Let's talk about adventure. Adventure is defined as "a daring and exciting activity calling for enterprise and enthusiasm". An adventurer: "A person willing to take risks". Like the quote, these definitions and their simplicity are beautiful. Why shouldn't we all be adventurers?



Carl and Ellie from Up wanted to be adventurers. For them, that meant that they were going to travel the world and see the wilds of South America. Maybe that's not your idea of an adventure, but we all have one and we all need to pursue it. Me? Just as Ellie dreamed and doodled about South America in her "Adventure Book" I have my own escapade that clouds my mind and occupies all of my thoughts. In just three short weeks, I'm leaving for Boston University. I know, you're all sick of hearing about how much I love Boston, BU and the general idea of College. Sorry, I'm not going to apologize. Ellie couldn't stop talking about her adventure and I can't stop talking about mine. I'm pursuing my adventure and along the way, I'm hoping to find out new things about myself and about the world. For me, this is the most exciting adventure there is. I will be the first to admit that I am a nerd. I truly love school and I love learning. I love gaining and sharing knowledge. I love having intellectual discussions. For these reasons, I can't wait for the adventure that awaits me and the life long friends (like Carl) I will make over cups of coffee and shared passions. The pursuance of both knowledge and passion is my life lasting adventure. 

All of us should have an adventure and all of us should pursue it. We needn't have a connotation of the word "adventure" that makes us think of sky diving and swimming with sharks. The great thing about being independent individuals, as we all are, is that we get to define our own adventure and we get to create our very own pixar movie in the process. So stop worrying. Stop over thinking it. An adventure isn't something unachievable or inconceivable. Your life is an adventure. Pursue your passions, face your fears, take a risk and let's go on an adventure! It can be scary but in the words of our friend Ellie, "Adventure is out there!"
What's the latest and greatest adventure in your life? Tell me in the comments! Share this post with your friends and encourage them to pursue their adventures too!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic post! I am so happy to have stumbled across your wonderful words. Best of luck on your Boston adventure. I am a HUGE believer in adventures, darling, and can't wait for my next one. Thank you for the reminder that "An adventure isn't something unachievable or inconceivable". So true. I need to get back out there! -Dana

    ReplyDelete